Friday, January 23, 2009

Sketchosophy

You know, for a blog called Sketch Adventure there sure haven't been very many life sketches around here lately. About that...
I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I've been thinking a lot about what sketchbooking is lately. I have a pretty heavy schedule right now, so my opportunities to get out and draw are fewer than I usually like. But this just means that I've got to make sure to squeeze the most learning out of those times when I'm able to just go draw. I've tried to change my mentality about how I'm approaching drawing by attempting to focus on the basics again. Often that doesn't make for exciting sketches, but it does make for great learning experiences.
Anyway, I don't want to get too wordy (especially since I don't really know what I'm trying to say). I guess what I'm really getting at is that it continues to be valuable for me to switch things up--methods, media, subjects. And what has really helped me lately has been to actively think while I draw "what is it that I'm trying to learn from this drawing? Am I studying proportion, likeness, gesture, value, caricature, skeletal/muscular structure, narrative, or (hopefully) some combination of these?"...by doing that I feel like I get more out of each exploration, even when I don't have a tone of free time for lots of life drawing.
And here's some recent sketch explorations...some are better than others, but learning doesn't always mean a great product!














16 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are really fun studies

JAKE WYATT said...

YES to dedication.

I was present for most of this, but I'll compliment you again:

You do beautiful work.

Chanp said...

great sketches/studies. love the ink work and the loose but accurate work on the figures. :)

Laura said...

I know those poses!
Too bad they aren't that pretty in my sketchbook...

Becky said...

Love the lunch time sketches - fun characters! :)

marco's blog said...

great sketches, i really enjoyed your blog too. i'll be back for sure!

hadi tabasi said...

great works
thanks a lot

Brandon said...

great figure sketches man. I like it.

Arjiuna said...

You have an incredible hand...

Unknown said...

hey man good to hear from you! how are things? hope all is well with you and your family. are you close to graduation?

Unknown said...

Beautiful drawings!!

Tobias Schwarz said...

great sketches and great blog!

Marcello Souza said...

great!!! excelent..........

Anonymous said...

jesus dude, you rock!

Morgan Rhys Gibbons said...

Anthony these are jaw-dropping. i love the 6th and 8th down, the male torsos. So dynamic. the rest, of course, is fantastic.

Heidi Smith said...

Great sketches!!! I love the line quality!!

The Illustrious and Illustrative Sketch Adventure Lifestyle of Anthony Holden. Cartoons, Sketches, Character Designs, Storyboards, Comics, Illustration, Animation, Silly thoughts, Intermittent Posting, and Arbitrary Capitalization by American animation artist, Anthony Holden. Thanks for stopping by and taking a look!
All content on this page copyright 2007-2011 Anthony L. Holden. Do not use without permission, except for purposes of review.